Well, I suppose it's time for an update. I can not believe I have made it to my third trimester and soon Rayne will be in my arms instead of in my belly! Being patient is H-A-R-D!!!!!
To recap the past few weeks in the life of a pregnant momma. . .
Glucose Tolerance Testing: In most normal pregnancies sometime between the 24th and 28th weeks, you have a test to determine if you have developed gestational diabetes. It's no big deal, really, except that I've heard that the taste of the solution you have to ingest is less than desirable. Being allergic to Red Dye #40 does make things interesting sometimes. I was given the doctor's order to go and have my testing done. No big deal. I am VERY low risk for gestational diabetes, according to my doctor. Wanting the clinic to be prepared, I called ahead and let them know that I was allergic to Red Dye #40 and would have to be sure that the solution I took didn't contain it. "No problem", she said. They had Fruit Punch and Orange flavors available. So, they would be sure to have orange available and I should be fine. "Good", I thought. So I arrived the next day at the clinic prepared to drink the sugary solution and sit for an hour while my body adjusted to the extreme amount of sugar in my system. The clinician brought in the bottle, and I just thought I'd look to be sure. Yup. Red Dye #40 printed right on the label. Hmmm. Now what? Kindly, he called around to other clinics, but no one had the Lemon-Lime flavor available. Apparently, they no longer make it. Now what? Being the week of Christmas, my doctor's office was scantily staffed, and no one there really knew what I should do. No biggie EXCEPT that I was in my 27th week by this point and in my 28th week I had to get a shot that was dependent on the results of the blood work that would be collected during this testing. To make a long story short, I had to do the "fasting-one-hour glucose test." Now, all of you know EXACTLY what that means, huh? Well, the doctor's office expected me to. So I used deductive reasoning and didn't eat anything after 8pm the night before I was to get the test done. Turns out, I could have eaten up til midnight, but I guess better safe than have to do this all over again. So, I went back to the clinic, they took my blood. I went home and ate. Then, I returned to the clinic to have my blood taken again. Good. That's done. Right? Wrong. The next day, the clinic called. They didn't fill the order properly. More blood must be taken. BUT, it didn't matter that I had already eaten breakfast. . .ok. . .This being New Year's week, once again the office was closed for four days. How do I get my results before going on Monday morning to get my shot? Who knows. But, in the end it all worked out and I was able to get my shot. . .Another story!
Rhogam injections for mommas who have have Negative blood types and are married to a man with a positive blood type: In your 28th week of pregnancy, you receive a shot to protect you from producing dangerous antibodies against your own blood. No big deal, right? In theory. I show up at the "office" I was told to go to, and it's more like triage for the hospital. Wondering if I'm in the right place, I approach the front desk. She asks for my name and slaps a hospital band on my wrist! What is going on?! She passes me a paper and asks for my compliance that "the doctor will treat me in the best way according to his or her judgement after assesing my condition." Condition?! (I don't think any of this would have been nearly as traumatic if I hadn't been by myself. But, my dear husband has been working like crazy in order to allow my to stay home. I'm so grateful for him!) So, after a brief wait in the waiting area, I'm lead down a hallway lined with patients receiving chemo treatments and the like. You know, IV's where they can't really drive themselves afterward...eek. No one told me 1. I'd be here a while or 2. Someone would need to drive me home. Another long story short, turns out I was in the wrong section. The nurse led me down the other hallway - that looked more like an emergency room. I was the only one there. The nurse took my vitals - most of which were slightly elevated due to the confusing and slight trauma. I got my shot, they gave me some Apple Juice, and I went home. Whew!
Birthing Classes: We have begun our birthing classes. Interesting. It's going to be good.
Now, I'm a week and a half into trimester number 3. Still, I am having no real adverse effects of pregnancy, but I am getting more tired again.
Only about 11 weeks to go!! I'm getting SO excited!
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is INSANE! What a story to be told later on! Many times when I am eating something with Red Dye 40 in it I think of you :) I don't know how you do it....it is in everything! hey, WHERE ARE THE BELLY SHOTS? I bet you are a cutie-pie!
-BECKY LYNN
Wow.... that Red Dye is really a pain! Thanks for sending me the link!
Post a Comment